Resources: Decolonisation

We can use this thread to share resources on the topic of decolonisation and anti-racism.

1 Like

Babakiueria

Babakiueria, a 1986 Australian satirical film on relations between Aboriginal Australians and Australians of European descent.

Babakiueria revolves around a role-reversal, whereby it is Aboriginal Australians who have invaded and colonised the fictitious country of Babakiueria, a land that has long been inhabited by white natives

Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire by Akala

ISBN: 9781473661233
Publisher: John Murray Press
Format: Paperback
Pages: 352
Publication date: 21 March 2019

American Climate Rebels Episode 11: Cooperation Jackson: Building a Social and Solidarity Economy

My friend Dan Hassan’s decolonisation reading list

https://viewer.scuttlebot.io/%WH%2FTkEH7ecXrz3CjfPzXNNKjM1Z8fZHxglsaYAIeKMU%3D.sha256

On Scuttlebutt: %WH/TkEH7ecXrz3CjfPzXNNKjM1Z8fZHxglsaYAIeKMU=.sha256

2 Likes

Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla Saad.

Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks (January 28, 2020)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1728209803
ISBN-13: 978-1728209807

Dismantling Racism web workbook available here.

1 Like

Sorry for the link dump; if I can edit comments I’ll come back later to clean it up and add context:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ALmuHr90z6lGWFI&id=8F081489B59BB63E!496211&cid=8F081489B59BB63E

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331559473_Language_as_an_oppressive_device_in_Orwell’s_1984

(Don’t consider this list representative of my recommended reading, there are items I might cull and it’s certainly incomplete.)

3 Likes

Thanks. You can for sure edit comments.

a list on decolonization would be quite remiss without lorenzo kom’boa ervin, so i put forward these two:

Lorenzo Kom’boa Ervin - The Progressive Plantation

Lorenzo Kom’boa Ervin - Authoritarian Leftists

certainly you don’t have to agree with everything lorenzo kom’boa ervin says, but these two pieces are pretty valuable critiques of some of the ideas white leftists as a collective tend to have which put them at odds with minorities and people of color.

3 Likes

This thread is great. Additionally I would suggest to put the posted ressources in our wiki as well. There’s a new wiki page re: White Supremacy Culture and as there are some overlappings we should maybe make that page’s focus broader to include Decolonisational stuff?

3 Likes

Here’s some more books that people have shared with me on SBC. I didn’t want this list lost.

• An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz

• La Conquista de America by Tzvetan Todorov.

• Settlers by J. Sakai.

• Red Earth, White Lies! by Vine Deloria.

• Native Southerners by Gregory Smithers.

• The Fifth Sun by Camilla Townsend.

• What Does Justice Look Like? by Waziyatawin.

• Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer.

• Why I No Longer Talk to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge.

• Pan-African Social Ecology by Modibo Kadalie.

3 Likes