now that i have a bit of free time to devote to this here is a very basic, tentative outline for a content warning system based on what we’ve discussed so far so that we have something in place for people to go off of instead of nothing.
as i mentioned to @emsenn earlier though on SBC, my hope is that we synthesize the things we talk about in other threads with this as we go along so that way our CW guidelines are in line with everything else. this should probably also not be the final phrasing we use for this–i just want to sketch out what we’ve discussed so far.
Content warnings should be applied both to things posted on Sunbeam City and things from outside of Sunbeam City as needed. The following things should always be content warned:
- Content related to mental health, self-harm, suicide, addiction, and similar serious issues;
- Content related to far-right and fascist ideas, beliefs, talking points, propaganda, etc;
- Content related to SBC meta discussions;
- Content relating to politics (preferably with the CW including the nation the politics are taking place in);
- Content which involves blood, forms of physical violence, abuse, or similar content which could be potentially triggering
- Content which describes or involves gross bodily functions or other generally disgusting content
Additionally, the following content does not require a content warning, but it may be courteous to provide one anyways in certain circumstances for the sake of others:
- Long toot threads;
- Jokes that are in questionable taste or pertain to sensitive subjects;
- Selfies and photographs of people;
- Original content and self promotion
as you can see i’ve added two additional points (the last two) which i think are broadly agreeable and should be covered by a CW system. better phrasing for all of these points are, as i said above, greatly appreciated. in particular it would be helpful with the one about gross content, since that one is a bit of a judgment call and i’m not sure if flexibility with these points would be more or less helpful. if anyone has other points they’d like to add or which they object to the inclusion of, definitely comment that below.
addendum: this thread may also be a helpful roadmap in our discussion, or it might not be. it’s probably worth reading over regardless, though, since i think it makes some good points when it comes to CWs.