Sunbeam City and decision-making

an important part of putting into action the stuff we’re talking about here that we haven’t really talked about yet is how we ultimately want to make decisions on what to do and what not to do. there are a lot of ways to do this, and some of them are probably better than others for our purposes. it might also be that we need different decision-making processes for different circumstances. regardless, i think it’s time to start working out a procedure for how we’re going to do things here.

2 Likes

That’s what loomio was for and from what I’ve read it worked quite good, having advanced polling tools to reach consensus based decision. I’m quite new to sbc and never participated in these processes though.

We should discuss whether we want to use loomio again and, if yes, how we can have an accessible loomio again since the current one is kinda broken. We could just set up a new one, but everyone would have to register again, structures are gone etc. But since it’s unaccessible since quite some time and Squeaky seems to have a hard time fixing it idk what the best thing to do is.

1 Like

personally i’d want to try and keep it on the instance if at all possible since taking things off-instance would likely put up a barrier for entry but that obviously might not be possible.

as far as off-instance options, to me it seems like the poll system here is also somewhat versatile (i’m going to reply to my own post with some of the polling options that are available) and that might approximate whatever poll functionalities loomio has, but i haven’t been on loomio.

there’s also CIVS which could be a useful option for some issues.

test poll 1

• option 1
  • option 2
  • option 3
  • option 4
  • option 5

0 voters

0 voters

• option 1
  • option 2
  • option 3
  • option 4
  • option 5

0 voters

I tested this to see if you could vote without having an account, but it doesn’t seem you can. Unless there are settings you can change to make it public?

I think keeping it on the instance would mean there are the least barriers for people to take part in reading the text and voting.

Maybe we could add the draft text to the Wiki (making it clear it’s draft and to be voted on) - so we can just link to that? People could look at it and make any suggestions, and then we could go to a final vote?

I assume we would want a BIPOC consultant to look at this before we post the draft for people to comment on? Or do we want someone doing this even earlier? I’m not clear on where and when for this process.

2 Likes

Nextcloud has a poll add-on that allows public voting. I know that’s probably not ideal.

There’s also Framadate. Disroot runs that, so you can see an example. https://disroot.org/en/services/polls

So I suppose it could be possible to run that and have it point to a subdomain like vote.sunbeam.city?

How can we get more types of voting systems implemented in SBC?

2 Likes

I think using a ranked voting system (maybe with multiple rounds for some decisions?) like CIVS would be best for complex decisions, and would not require registering on another website which would reduce barriers.

1 Like

For me, I think straight up direct democracy with a little injection of consensus is fine. This is how we’re doing it already.

I would like to see us switch to the Hometown fork of Mastodon and then we can do local only polls. Then people can discuss on Masto itself.

Though I do see the benefit of keeping it on a different system such as Discourse. It would keep the local free of all the SBC meta stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3 Likes

i think longer form discussions/complicated questions are better suited for a platform like this for obvious reasons (some of which are why we’re here in the first place) and we should probably have a space for those.

simpler issues can definitely be resolved on mastodon, though.

2 Likes

I quite like having things here, all else aside it makes it easy to find the conversations. If everything was done on Mastodon it wouldn’t be difficult to miss that certain conversations were happening at all.

2 Likes